Saturday 7 January 2012

TASK ONE

Based on the principles that have been introduced so far in the Enterprise module, investigate who you are as a creative in relation to who is out there looking for creative talent.

Write a list of all the possible client groups that use graphic design in the development, production, distribution, promotion and/or communication of their products or services. Identify one client group that reflects your current ambitions within the graphic design area (music industry, retail, publishing, education etc.) and focus on identifying:-

* What skills / interests you have and how they relate to the needs of your client group?
* What skills are needed and what skills do you want to develop?
* What are your professional/creative aims and how do they relate to the needs of the client group?

It is essential that you make references to the ʻ4 Psʼ which formed the core learning of your first Enterprise Lecture. This is an exercise in applying that theory – it is not appropriate to write about the theory itself. Demonstrate your understanding of it by actually using it.




As an emerging graphic designer my possible client groups could be:

- Freelancer
- Emerging business- varying scale
- Companies needing a rebrand- varying scale
- Multinational companies
- Councils
- Charities
- Cultural Sector
- Education Sector
- Retail
- Media
- Online companies
- Travel
- Music industry


Products within these client groups would be:

Products that could be produced for a freelancer or small business would be a logo, stationary range i.e. letterheads and business cards, depending on budget possibly a website. For a larger scale business with a bigger budget as well as a logo and business stationary and a website, promotional campaigns and billboard designs could be produced. Other businesses may require interior graphic design for example a restaurant or retail space: graphic vinyls may be printed and applied to windows. The cultural sector often requires a lot of print based graphic design for example: maps for art galleries and museums, listing brochures for theatres, exterior banners. Technology advancement has now seen a lot of businesses investing in apps for I-Phones: for example Carling have produce a fun, free app that allows the user to pretend to ‘down a pint’, this is a cleaver was of displaying there name on the glass. Interactive graphic design is being used more often with companies that can afford it. For example Argos utilise interactive on screen graphics to allow their services to become more efficient and less time consuming for staff and customers. I - the designer am also a product. If I were to work freelance, the client would be charging me by the hour.

The music industry is the area I want to work with:

As I am now in my second year self-promotion is key. I already have a blog that has been up and running for 2 years and it is easy ways to show potential clients and employers what design you create and how you think. In our second module, design for print, I hope to set up a website which I feel will establish myself fully within the world of design. Business cards are affordable and an instant way of promoting one self. Usual business cards are a7 landscape, however changing the format and using innovative stock and type may generate myself a USP. Also general networking on websites such as Facebook is useful as a young designer. Flyer's in general I feel are a waste of time any money and often get discarded so I would tend not to use this to promote myself. I am hopefully going to be involved in an exhibition in April with a few others from my course, it is early days, however this would be an excellent promotional tool and a priceless way to get myself on the may. Discounts of my work may temporarily boost sales, however it is expensive and maybe irrelevant to my field of design. When I do get established, I could use direct marketing and offer customers invitations to an exhibition for example, this would create a personal touch and help build a good reputation however it is potentionally expensive and a high cost per consumer.

What skills do I have to work within the music sector?

Concepts and Ideas
(Visualisation)

Software Skills

Typography Skills
Layout Skills

Use of Colour


What skills are needed?

Presentations
Work (pitch) and Vocal

Understanding the clients needs/ wants

Understanding the budget and costings.


What skills do I need to develop in order to work within the music industry?

Software

Typography

Web design

Presentations
Work (pitch) and Vocal

Understanding the clients needs/ wants

Understanding the budget and costings.

Price
As mentioned one of my skills that I want to develop in the understanding of clients budget and costings. Within the music industry client budgets vary on the size and success of the band and record label.

What I charge for a bands branding will be determined by a number of factors including competition of what other designers charge per hour or per brief. The cost of producing design work will be a huge factor when I decide what to charge a client. For example I have to take into consideration time costs, stock and ink cost, the scale of the publication and how many of what I design will be produced and what production method will be used, may it be digital printing or screen printing and how many colours are used etc.

Expenses and overheads will need to be considered in order to calculate a successful price that will be fair and consistent to consumers, but will also give me a good profit return.

Pricing strategies such as competitive pricing so pricing my design just lower that competitors could attract business to me initially as I get started up in the field, I may also price the same as other Designers however offer more i.e give myself a USP such as if I create an illustration/ etching that I sell I may offer to frame it this may help to build good customer relationships. When pricing what I want to charge I need to be aware of cost plus pricing, as I need to have by labour and time covered at least. My hourly rate would work out as the time I have taken on a particular design plus my overheads such as rent for a studio or lighting, heating etc. If I were to undertake a one of brief for a client, I would look to charge the cost of my time and expenses. I need to ensure that my pricing id fair and consistent and represents value for money. When discussing pricing with a client I would leave room for negotiation and still ensure I allow myself room for growth in the field.

However price will depend on lots of factors and my income will depend on where I work or what I charge.

My professional and creative aims are:

- One of my main creative aims within the music industry would be to brand and promote a new emerging band that has just been signed. That way I can be involved from the start and build a consistent and reliable relationship with the client/band.
- This means, form the client’s point of view they would get a complete service with a lot of involvement from me.

Place

If I worked within the music industry what I produce may be distributed in a variety of places.
Another key aim I have is to have my work in the public domain. For example within the music industry I would aspire to have my work displayed on:


- CDs, posters and merchandise in shops e.g. hmv, fopp
- Gigs: tickets
- Billboards, bus shelter adverts.
- Online – for example merchandise shops, web banners

No comments:

Post a Comment